Today we finished the work on the restitution and visualisation of the “White Temple” (Building B) and the Anu Ziggurat in Uruk, a very famous sacred complex dating to the Late Uruk Period. The project is part of the ongoing Uruk Visualisation-Project that we are working on for the German Archaeological Institute in Berlin. The results turned out very nice: We created two possibilities of reconstruction for the “White Temple”. The final images show comprehensive exterior views of the temple on top of the ziggurat, several sections through the building and some very nice interior views that tentatively reveal the lighting conditions inside the temple.
Sorry for not posting any pictures here, but that will have to wait until the publication is out. Some images will probably be on display, however, in the upcoming Uruk exhibition in the Pergamon Museum in April 2013. We will keep you updated on that.
Today we finished the first part of the Mari Visualisation Project: the restitution and visualisation of the fortifications. It was a great pleasure for us to work with the Mari excavation team of the Sorbonne Paris and a very fruitful cooperation.
This graphic shows the relation of two of the different building phases of the fortification wall in Mari.
Reconstruction of the domestic residence in Sector N3.
You can read more about this project on our project-site.
Today we set up the exhibition “Auf archäologischer Spurensuche in Syrien – Ausgrabungen in Tell Fecheriye”. It was a lot of work, but the result turned out fine. We even had our first visitors…
The exhibition’s title display.
Work in progress..
We created this life-sized accessible model of an excavation trench for visitors to explore.
This little girl instantly got comfortable inside the double-jar burial.. :)
Read more about this project here.
(Photographs: © Sandra Grabowski & Sebastian Hageneuer)
I wrote about the production of three dioramas for the National Museum in Herat here. Today we received news from Herat and some pictures of the installation and grand opening of the museum. See how the local museum staff in Afghanistan is installing our dioramas! Great :)
I hope I can post some more pictures of the finished installation soon.
(Photographs: © Ute Franke)
I have been working on the design and production preparation of three dioramas for the National Museum in Herat, Afghanistan. Today, I went to the model maker‘s place to have a look at the finished models. They turned out great! This is the first time that some of our 3D-models got converted to real life models. :)
Great! I can actually touch the figures that I built in the computer only a few weeks ago. :)
The dioramas are constructed in a modular fashion in order for them to be easily packed and transported to Herat, where they will be reassembled by the museum staff.
This is what the models looked like in the computer. I built them exactly to scale and gave the data to the model maker. In the Herat museum each diorama will be placed within a separate display case.
To read more about this project, visit our project-site!
(Photographs: © Sandra Grabowski)